Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I must warn my readers that this post will not be very relevant to people who aren't violent or interested in combat and stand-up fights.

I was studying several Kyokushin fights while recalling my last bout on Sunday with a junior belt taking his grading. My role then was to command the group taking the last round of the full grading and to run their test. Was surprised when Sensei told me to get onto the mat and lead. Never done it before.

The highlight for me and the unfortunate person that had to face me was definitely kumite. I have not properly fought with someone for almost a month, and the fluttery feeling that I presume to be the effect of adrenaline came back very strongly. It is a feeling that surfaces before every fight, but it mostly disappears when the fight starts and I come into the battle mode. It was most acute right before my 20 men kumite and I like to think that it primes me for the fight.

I needed a good fight to expend some energy and I think I was nasty to him. He was definitely older than me by a few years, shorter, but stouter. I was pleasantly surprised that my first punch hurt him. I encouraged him to do what he could and then gave him a hard fight. I do remember landing a measured kick to his head.

It was a good fight for me, but it prods me to think about how would I fare against another evenly skilled black belt in tournament. Then I realised that there isn't such an evenly skilled person. The disparity in skill and strength aren't always obvious, but will be brought out under prolonged exchange. I'll need to be ahead in both skill and strength.

And so, I went back to watch the vids.

The 9th Kyokushin World tournament final was won by a succession of three hard low kicks to the thigh. It was a clean and clear victory, and Jan Soukup could not get up. I know the exact feeling.

Texeira of Brazil was endowed with natural strength and speed and i think he is lacking in the technique department, but is otherwise a monster. He comes at you and hits you hard.

In any fight, I feel that the most important things you must have are confidence, awareness and the strength of will to stay in the fight.

You are confident-cocky and arrogant, so you intimidate your opponent and you reduce his surety. A deadened expression and offensive posture will cause them to doubt.

You are aware-conscious of your abilities and his and you know the damage you can cause to another human being. You know how to manipulate the distance between you and him so that it is favourable for you and bad for him.

You are strong willed-you want to finish the fight and you want to win. Any lapse in resolve will be bad. You've already embraced the possibility of loss.

These are the other fights, and they move me to get up and box.





On a side note,

I dislike the way that the importance of money has increased these days.
I want life to be easy and according to my pace. But that is just wishful thinking. I think my sourness has to do with how wishful thinking isn't anything more powerful.

finis

No comments: