Saturday, March 24, 2007

Tomorrow is the Junior Belt Kumite Tournament.
Junior Belt for those below Shodan (first degree black), and for those above 16. And now that I'm 17, I've entered into this tournament. Before this, there was no fervent training, or punishing regime that Sensei put me through, just regular conditioning, minimal bagwork and sparring that we did after training ourselves. Not sure I'm ready physically. Sensei certainly thinks I can. The conditioning he did on my body-rampant punches and kicks-i could take.
Does that mean I can take whatever is thrown at me on Sunday?
Seems like whenever I enter a tournament, the odds are all against me.
I'll sparring, in no weight category, against adults and senior seasoned fighters who may have trained 3 times a week (Gurkha) or those people from West Dojo, whom Boon Kit have trained them to be something much more than strong.

But my chest is not thumping; instead, its at peace. And the occasional music gets me up and all active.
Nevertheless, I've decided.

I will fight tooth and nail for a placing.
I will make sure the guy that beats me will not be able to walk and will lose immediately in his next bout.

Seeing that there are Preliminaries, Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals, Finals and in-betweens, I think there'll be at least 4 fights for me tomorrow. Each fight will probably have 3 rounds, each 1 min plus and an extension round if there's no apparent winner.
Strategy: My stamina isn't fantastic. Have to score lethal points with my kicks fast, early into the round to win.

(bows) It's time to be an asshole tomorrow.

No comments: