Monday, March 12, 2007

Tameshiwari

I think I had screwed up the writing on my posting by selecting 'yes' for transliteration, which would allow English lettering to turn Hindi conveniently.
The week was a mild one, and bringing the first term into a gentle end, I just plunged into the holidays like it wasn't there at all.
Something that has changed is that I've been going to the Gym now, thrice a week, hitting the treadmill, the bench press, dumb bells and striving to work on my pectorals, back, shoulders, bicep, tricep, abs and quadriceps.
It's worked and my top is really really solid now, and I think it only is after going at the weights, ignoring the soreness and the occasional loss of strength, and increasing the intake of protein immediately afterward. Happy at my profile in the mirror. Half a month at the gym could do this much, what about a full 12 months=1 year of it?
My weight measured in the same clothes and everything dipped in 2 days from 72.00 kg to 71.68 kg. My goodness!
Sempai Colin has told me that weight(resistance)-training would increase my power in punches and upper body strikes as well as being able to stand being hit repeatedly (and forcefully) by murderous suckers. Sempai Colin has been a constant source of advice and help.
He made me strive to kick harder and drilled my legs to delivering power to each blow.
My stamina rose as a result of this training that he made me go through.
My performance in training has taken the Dinie sorta path. Sempai Dinie, no matter how long he did not come for training would always resume at the same intensity, level and physical ability.
Now the training doesn't kill me anymore. The Drills are now just a stage now.
I think I was influenced by the option that Sensei left open, for me to take my Shodan come May. It's been what? 4 years and some?
I've watched people after me (Fang Bin and Xing Feng and Colin) rise to Black way before me.
A bit angry at myself, for taking the 6 month hiatus from training back last last year after the Nov Demonstration until just after my MYE in 06.
Missed the opportunity to rise to First Degree; the SMAIA tournament; the International Youth Karate Tournament in Japan...
But it seems that it all turned out fine and I'm at my optimum now, and raring to take my Black, along with the crap it throws at me before I get to that level.
I'll have to start with an intense show of basics, self-defense against hot-blooded Gurkha fighters who want nothing but to break this Brown Belt 'who thinks he can upgrade to Black'; showcase my 2 Katas in front of the panel of 5th, 8th Degree Shihans and then go for the 20 men Kumite (sparring), which is in actuality a real fight with me taking no breaks and 20 men coming at me one after another. The last four will be seasoned Black Belts, I think. And then the break of 8 roofing tiles.

But it all will have to realise only after I slice through 6 of those tiles for my re-test later at Kolam Ayer Dojo. Having the butterflies in my stomach actually. It's been 6 months and more since I failed at the actual grading ground, only breaking 5 out of 6. It took my great-grandfather's ointment to rid me of the bruise in my bone.
Today will be a different story. It's only 6 tiles. And I'm stronger from all the gyming. My bulk is substantial and i can already face Sensei in Kumite properly. I'm ready. For my Black.

Sensei was watching me yesterday after I handed him the form for the Tournament and the Overseas Membership and affiliation with Japan Honbu.
I was taking out my rage on the heavy bag with the kicks that Colin taught me and made me do over and over. It dented the heavy bag. And it naturally scared the kids at the Kid's Class. And the seniors came over and tried to do the same. Sensei then came over and said he would condition my body. He then began punching every part of my upper body and gave me low kicks, inner and outer, while I assumed a solid stance and was not to move.
I told him to increase the strength-"harder" and he did.
At the end he said this:
"You don't spar anymore. You're good enough. Don't injure yourself before the tournament."
He said the middle part softly, I never heard him praise anyone outloud before, not even his own daughter Flavia. I guess the once in a blue moon quality of that compliment doubles in value.

I'm only 3 hours away from the break that would propel me upwards.

No comments: