Sunday, September 25, 2011

Whole-heartedness

This week, I am learning to be more disciplined in work and play, and to give my whole heart to seeking the Lord. 

Jeremy (Loh) shared on Jeremiah 29:13 - "You will seek me and you will find me when you seek me with all your heart.

It struck me again that I have compartmentalized my heart, only giving half-hearted devotion and half-hearted effort in seeking Him.

Glen reminded us too, that we are to be students of God's Word. We are Christian first before all else.

I am so grateful and humbled by our fellowship that God has made it possible for us to find each other and then come together to worship and learn of Him through His Word.  

I am confident that as we go, God will teach us.

We must build each other up in faith and knowledge and love one another. In our every behaviour, we must be sensitive to other believers. We protect each other in our holy faith so that we grow together in Christ.


The Three Wise Men, only wise because we recognize our need for the Lord. 
-

I am a show-off. So many times I startle myself by the little things that I do to advertise my goodness. I am conscious that I shame others to promote myself. My attitudes and my actions move to intellectually, spiritually and verbally intimidate others. I exalt myself and make myself out to be better than I am. I am not to harm the consciences of those who are weaker in faith.

God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble. If I have a full view of myself and of the true condition of my heart and person that is without Christ, I would not think so highly of myself. 
This chastens me, that I am on the receiving end of grace and mercy. 

I must occupy the lesser position and let others come forth to serve, share and teach. I must fight my nature to centre on myself and instead honour Christ. 

-

I am very excited to meet Christians in school, and I eagerly look to share and discuss our faith. I realize in some cases, there is a sort of dance during our interactions where we try to understand or measure the depth of each other's faith. We try to find out how Christian each other is. 

I am glad to meet like-minded young people who are serious about our faith. There are not too many around. 

Ordinarily when we meet new people, we typeset each other by outward adornments and physical appearance that is layered with care. But we must be careful to look past the flesh (body) and see the spiritual climate of the heart. Is there any mark of Christ?  

This is especially when we are looking at the opposite sex. I believe any woman who loves the Lord is beautiful. But it is not easy to focus on this quality if we only stop at the outward layer. His/ Her relationship with the Lord is the most important. 

If we cannot have a proper relationship with our God, all our other relationships will suffer.

-


It is saddening to also see where there are young, and not so young Christians with little knowledge of the Word, of God's Spirit. They have not felt the importance and difference in spending time in His Presence. Spiritual maturity is found wanting. 
We must live out our faith. Our belief in Christ Jesus is not one that is passive, but active and growing. 

How deeply rooted is our faith? Or is it just allegiance that may change, just like our political position? 
How Christian are we?

-

I wonder about the future, and I wonder about my place and position then. What would I be doing and what would be the state of my relationship with my God. 

I wonder about who would be my wife, and how is the family we have and keep together. I am careful about the girls I meet daily, and to guard myself against losing to physical attraction. It is mostly lust at first sight. How may I love and later grow intimate with person that I have little knowledge of? 

I remind myself that I and my future wife will need to raise up children in a Christian household. I may not turn from this important requirement and look to other attributes of appearance or personality.

In this, I hope and pray that I will raise a household that loves and serves the Lord. How many generations after, I do not know, but I pray all of them will. 

My children will inherit the best riches of all - my faith in the Lord. The Lord is our best and richest inheritance. Not money or property.


May God's Word and Truth take root in our heart, mind and Spirit. Amen.

No comments: