Saturday, August 2, 2008

I would think that this post is unappealing to most of my readers, but I am moved to put it up here. I should have done this a long time ago.

It is a sermon made by preacher Paul Washer at the 2002 Youth Evangelism Conference where he spoke out against the errors in American Evangelism and their wrongful teachings, which can be seen also be seen everywhere else.
After he made this sermon, he was never invited back into the conference.

It's one-hour long, but it is not a bad way to spend a twenty-fourth of your day.
This has been very influential on my ideas which I would say aren't very popular.
View the video, and perhaps you might see the reason behind my ideas:

I am not a good follower of Christ, I have not attended Church that many times and I am a very wretched human being. We all are, but we who profess to be Christians and are still living our lives like a poor example should be cursed. I wrote about "walking in the way Jesus did" in January. I haven't done that. I keep God and the Bible at bay sometimes because I'm aware that He disapproves of my and our lifestyle.

I have little faith in Christian leaders and teachers today, and I have a severe dislike for mega churches. I question the qualifications of cell group leaders and I doubt the validacy of the teachings in Churches.
These people who are our leaders-they are spiritually superior or better off than the rest of us? Can we be sure that they are examples, good examples for us to use while we strive for Jesus' ultimate example? Does going through a course or displaying good knowledge of the Word serve as credentials for them to be leaders that will guide men?

And as for mega churches, when even within a cell group, it is hard to look after the spiritual growth of a handful, how can they provide guidance and genuinely care for the multitudes and masses that swarm into and fill the building or the conference hall.

I doubt the reasons why people go to Church. I doubt the reasons why people believe in Jesus.

People go to Church maybe because the boy or girl they like go to Church.
People go to Church because they like the music at the Church.
People go to Church because they have been going since ever.
People go to Church to socialize.
People go to Church because the speaker is funny.
People go to Church because they get free food.
People go to Church because it is a pretty okay way to spend some of your day.
People go to Church for acceptance.
People go to Church for reassurance.
People go to Church because there's air-conditioning...

Why do people believe in God and in Jesus and become well, believers?
I've heard because God gives us strength, God loves us for who we are and God forgives us. God gives us blessings, God gives us reassurance and comfort that He is around and will not let bad things happen to us.
Bollocks.
The only valid reason that we should believe in Jesus and in God is that He died for us on the cross in an excruciating way to redeem us so that we might be recounciled with God.

What does it mean to be a Christian?
The expectation of a Christian is to be a follower of Christ. I believe that we will be asked to give our lives to and for Him. Would you die for somebody who will and who has died for you? We will have to do the same for our Lord.

More than being believers, we must be followers.
I am/ we are not there. But since we know this, should we just let this knowledge ferment or do we do something.




God Bless.

No comments: