Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Derek and I have different opinions on this:

It is better to have loved and lost, than not to have loved at all.
-The Leap Years (film)

He doesn't agree with it. But I can definitely understand his perspective. He knows me very well though, this sensitive guy, and predicted that I would 100 % stick with the sentence. Romantics like me would even savour every taste of the sweetness, no matter how short.

Realists would be drawn to the word, "short".

Romantics notice it too, but we prefer to be deluded.
There is an underlying sadness though, despite all the surface good cheer and laughter.

I just might grow into a sad realist that does not believe in love. I very much want reassurance and your love, but I'm gonna stay real and consider that possibility very remote.

US Presidential Election

Whatever is happening on the other side of this planet is far-away but not distant. Which candidate (the most polite name for those control freaks) ascends onto the throne and becomes the most important man (was gonna acommodate Hillary, but realised that there wasn't a need for amendment-'man' is just fine.) on this Earth will rock our world. The US economy and Wall Street affects our own economy; the trends over in America will definitely impact Asia and Singapore, having close ties with the Yankees will feel this.

I read a commentary by our Minister Mentor lately and considered his appraisal of the candidates. He is inclined towards Hillary, and his views can't be brushed away just because he is an old man. He's still a feisty old man that is still very sophisticated no matter how much dislike/ disdain/ ill-will we might have for him.


Barack Obama

Would you, a fat American voter, choose this man to be your President for the next 4 years and potentially 8 years, if by some good chance he is not assassinated in between?


Hillary Clinton

Or would you pick this woman. You definitely remember her husband, William (Bill). If you're a woman, you'd feel even more strongly for her if you are reminded of Bill's private session with Monica.

I only bothered listing the Democrats, because I think that Americans are tired of a lumbering coarse Republican after a near 8 years. I do not mean to align John McCain with George, but it is only natural that they are cast in the same light given their Political Party. Also, the Republicans have also lost their footing in Congress. I think we can expect that the Democrats will do better this time round. But I am not a professional and my words aren't that weighty.

I really like Obama because of his charisma and his flair, and I do not hate African-Americans at all. In fact, I admire them a lot. We should stop having our stereotypes of the blacks and learn to recognise that not all blacks are rappers or muggers. Back to Obama. Obama is a leader that presents himself neatly to the American and wins their adoration easily. He inspires and he has a decent team and a even more decent slogan of 'Change'.

I do not like Hillary one bit, because I am prejudiced, not because she is an old woman, but because of the impression she gives me. She seems like the sort who thinks that what she thinks and knows is absolutely right and everybody else are stupid people who can be manipulated.
But that is just my bias. Hillary however has an excellent team and a husband who was the President for 2 terms. She is very experienced and seems to have a more solid plan for the next 4 years if she were to become President.

However, none of them are right for America. Obama has not given his clear plan for the situation in Iraq, and alleges that he will withdraw the troops swiftly. MM Lee raised this and I fully agree. The situation in Iraq is both fragile and complex. The abrupt removal of coalition forces from the place will result either in another civil war, where the region would be lost or a breeding ground for terrorism, if it hasn't already become one.

But Americans are sick of the situation currently not just for Iraq but also at home and they eagerly grasp at promises of 'Change'. Would the change that Obama or Hillary are talking about positive improvement, or just a different figure in charge?

I still like Obama and will make faces at Hillary's campaign photos, but sometimes the person in-charge will have to be someone who isn't very pleasant or popular.

I don't know myself why a Singaporean is so concerned, but the above is just a portion of my thoughts.

Current theme song(s):
"Shan Hu Hai", Jay Chou
"If I Let You Go", Westlife
"Let Me Love You", Mario
"Stop and Stare", One Republic

I like this picture below. It's not all of Triton 1, but it has the magnificent me and some real special people inside, and my trademark orange water bottle. I quite miss the great crazy fun during the first 3 days of school and wish that the same bunch of us were at O2 also.
It's just a pity.



I want to take hold of you and fly. Say yes?

Words in white are not meant to be read, but I guess a bit of me wants them seen.

No comments: