Wednesday, March 21, 2012

It is still Today.

What I read affects me and plagues my mind. If something is to linger in my mind and prompt any action, it had better be God's Holy Word. We know this from the Psalms and so many other scriptures:


  "Blessed is the man who walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in his law doth he meditate day and night." Psalms 1:1-2

  "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in our hearts to the Lord." Colossians 3: 16

  "Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they many be as frontlets between your eyes. And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." Deuteronomy 11:18-19


The Word is a good and important reference for daily living, and the scriptures are God-breathed and powerfully relevant. Who may say that the Old Testament offers no instruction to us under the New Covenant today? The history of Israel and God's relationship with them shows us the patterns for obedience and the faithfulness of God towards His chosen people. If He may un-choose Israel, how will He be faithful, and how may we say that His love endures forever?

Can any man hide his sin from the LORD? Can any man veil his mind and heart from the God's sight? I am to be mindful of my subjection to Him, and how my living is an aberration of His goodness, and my mind and heart are offensive to His Holiness.

My eyes and ears store up resources for sin, and my lips, hands and feet execute these meditated sins. But God did not withhold His Son, the only acceptable sacrifice for sins, from me, and let Him go to shameful and painful death on the cross to bear God's wrath that was to be mine, for my sake. I may be able to be clean by the Blood of the Lamb that was shed for me and for others.

Our strength is in the Word, to live redeemed lives in view of Christ and for Christ, who purchased us by His Blood, and made us partakers of the Heavenly Calling (Hebrews 3:1).

I managed to eat with a brother today, without planning for a meeting, and it was good that I was able to know how I may support him in prayer. This week I learned again the importance of encouraging our brethren, that we are to continue to exhort[ing] one another daily, while it is called Today; lest any of us[you] be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin (Hebrews 3:13). In the present time, while we are still in the second advent, we are to live carefully and consistently in view of Christ, and in love for others.

I have observed this trend, that we men do not like to work much less labour; and we also have no delight in what we do. We do not want perspiration, we reserve our strength, and work only to feed our lusts and pleasures, and only sometimes our bellies. Other times we steal.

Our attitude for work and for life should be this. It is a tall order, but we have inward empowerment to live like this: "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." Colossians 3:17

We may live in newness of life, because Christ hath delivered us from sin. We have the means to overcome, and live holy, good lives for His sake. We belong to Him; our lives are made possible only by His grace, and we should live for His purpose and in His pattern - of obedience to the Father and to please and honour our Father.

We should not just settle for blind optimism, but a sure and defined hope. The hope that our God and Saviour Jesus Christ is coming for us soon. 


No comments: