Monday, June 9, 2008

I was so distraught at missing Pushing Daisies yesterday that I hunted for it online and hit the jackpot twenty-odd minutes later when I stumbled onto YOUKU.COM and found all the episodes of the mini-series waiting for me in one search result page.
The leap of joy that lasted for approximately 40 seconds.
Since it's so short, I think it should be called a flicker of joy.
I like the flicker; it was rather magical.

Crystal called and asked me to go out with her on a de-stress tour. I would very much like to do so, but such a tour requires prior arrangement, so if you want to take me out on a date, the answer is yes and only yes if you were to provide me with the specifics at least 8 hours before?
I love you all, and thank you.

Pushing Daisies-I really like it. It's sweet and agonising, how you can't get to touch the girl you love; you can't hold her hand, you can't hug her when she's feeling sad, you can't hug her for no reason-that's tragic. And this adds to the beauty of the story.
Everybody in the show is witty; it's full of not just reparte but wisdom too.

The pie-maker, Ned has a gift.
He can revive the dead with his touch, but if he touches them a second time, they die again, this time forever. But if he lets that person stay alive for more than 1 minute, then someone else in close proximity will die randomly to maintain the balance.

And so, he teams up with a private investigator to solve murder cases by asking the victims how they died.

He then comes across his childhood sweetheart, who he revives and can't bear to kill her again. And he keeps her.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I decidedly think that's really sweet. I think it's a wonderful story and I can't wait to find out what'll happen in Season 2, because I've practically spoiled Season 1 for myself by visiting WIKIPEDIA because I almost cannot stand not knowing. I like it that the romance is pure and there isn't any sex in it that ruins the chasteness of it all. He loves her, but he can never touch her.

Watch those below-






Otherwise, I'm also enthralled by Narnia. Not simply Prince Caspian but the beauty of the series, which is a really marvellous tale not as complex or extensive as Tolkien's LORD OF THE RINGS, but still essentially brilliant in story-telling.

It preaches and values bravery and good heart and isn't very graphic, but retains a fairy-tale quality that is unlike the macabre warring in LOTR. The richness of the story has swallowed me up.

Today was made better by returning to familiar school and friends and family feasting at KFC. Manage to avert a potential catastrophe in Chemistry and had the delightful company of Megan and Shude who stood with me for the first bit of the lesson because we were late.
The session with Ong however highlighted how lax I still am and how much more I need to bully myself into getting to.

Self-depravation and baiting ourselves with the promise of relaxation would be the way forward.
Like in the gym, the harder you bully yourself, the more gains you'll get afterward.
I have to let this philosophy spill over into academia.
After what Sempai Colin said to us about not wandering aimlessly and to start planning something for our future now, I need to kick my own butt.

If I want to be great, I have to slog.
That is the pre-requisite for greatness.

FINIS.

No comments: