Saturday, August 25, 2007

25th August

First, Happy Birthday, Jeremy!
Feel bad for not being able to go with the group with the Captain and throw him in some fountain or water body on his seventeenth year on this planet.
But at least Shez and I can be sure he'll be pleasantly surprised on Monday, and probably extremely grateful. We got him a pack of condoms! Use them well!
It's a beautiful night. The cities will be twinkling sweetly. Pray they have lots of fun!

Today was, howdowesay-an awkward sorta day. Didn't feel like I was up to much work actually. Floated through the morning bit of the day and then got outdoors to head to Toa Payoh Stadium for the Shodan (First Degree) Blackbelt test. It was a prelude to the full grading tomorrow, and it was a sorta opportunity to check out the people I would fight tomorrow too. Unfortunately, the Gurka Contingent Dojo members weren't there, so I couldn't see my opponents in full.

The Gurkha are professsional soldiers that are sort of contract mercenaries that are in Singapore's service and are the frontline in mostly national defence and local counter-terrorism operations.

I came off disadvantaged in most of my encounters with them. Probably because they were adult. In gradings, especially the latest this time last year in 2006, it seemed alright. but back then, it was only 10 men.
This time its 20. Nervous now, blood curdling and all.

The run was quite decent. 8 rounds around the outside track and in a sensible time. Tried to slow down so as to not tax my system, but ended up going a bit faster than intended. Crystal needs more work to beat me in 2.4. Only known 1 girl personally who's able to beat me in running. Sensei's daughter, Flavia. Cannot forget. She's been asking me to run with her, but I'm not stupid. Not gonna look foolish trailing behind her, LOL.

Tomorrow morning, will go to the CC to take on the entire grading. Worried that I'll fail. The likelihood is definitely not zero. A degree of nervousness is reasonable, but not enjoying the feeling of having my chest not beat, then jumpbeat quickly for the next interval. What scares me? The entire affair. Fighting 20 hot-blooded soldier types and pulling through to break the 8 tiles that will wait while I bleed on the mat.
I'm rambling probably. But I need an outlet to project my anxiety onto. Not that the world really gives a damn about what happens tomorrow.
Forgive my irrelevance.

I got this from Kenneth. Makes no sense. But it does make me smile grudgingly.

Ten Top Trivia Tips about Song Leng!

  1. A bride should wear something old, something new, something borrowed, and Song Leng.
  2. Song Leng is the traditional gift for a couple on their third wedding anniversary.
  3. Song Leng can squeeze his entire body through a hole the size of his beak!
  4. The average human spends about 30 days during their life in Song Leng.
  5. The book of Esther in the Bible is the only book which does not mention Song Leng!
  6. US gold coins used to say 'In Song Leng we trust'!
  7. Song Leng, from the movie of the same name, had green blood.
  8. Song Leng can taste with his feet.
  9. The blood of mammals is red, the blood of insects is yellow, and the blood of Song Leng is blue.
  10. Red Song Leng at night, shepherd's delight. Red Song Leng at morning, shepherd's warning.
I am interested in - do tell me about

Go there if you need a grim smile. Thanks Kenneth!

No comments: