Thursday, May 9, 2013

Another Exercise in Self-Reflexivity

We often have a false and very romantic view of ourselves, that downplays our defects which are actually glaring to others, even when we glaze over them. Social media gives me a space to control the outputs and sustaining a sanitized projection of myself.

I remember the intervals where I do well (by my own reckoning), splice out the parts where I stumble, default and go astray, and compile these intervals to make a linear transcript.

Thank God for lucid moments, which I am to remain in, so I may steer my life after Christ. Where I lead myself, I always go wrong eventually or immediately and plunge into some sin, whether in private spheres of the mind, or in speech and action. So it is wonderfully apt that my Shepherd comes to lead me. But at the same time, I need to willingly follow.

And so I do what I can with what I have, which is God's Word, and use it to frame my life.

CONDUCT, CHARACTER, DOCTRINE



Proverbs 23:7

King James Version (KJV)
For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.



I falsely believe that the man I am is what I seem, but really: who I am is what goes on in my mind and heart. And thus God deals with truly who we are, and not what we make ourselves out to be. In the privacy of our mind, we may be politically incorrect, hateful, racist, vile and downright immoral. We consider it an intrusion when somebody minds what goes on inside our private space, but it is our true character, and it seeps out when we are not so careful with the mastery of our speech and actions.

So I put in these 3 segments how I need to mind myself, and to realign when I err: CONDUCT, CHARACTER, DOCTRINE

-My life is a witness to the work of God in me, and where I fail, I discredit Him, and it would be terribly shameful and sorrowful, though I don't know the feeling yet.
-I need to show forth God's love and kindness and win others to Christ.
-My life must be a pattern of good works so I may glorify God and lead men to Him.




Titus 2

King James Version (KJV)


Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.
In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.


-I need to be sober minded, lucid and not influenced by any intoxicating substance or fancy.
-My life must consistently be a pattern of good works.
-Doctrine must be pure, serious, and honest.
-I must strive for sound speech that is love mixed with truth. I cannot be combative, but to discuss reasonably and compassionately with others. I must not be penalized for the spirit and the facts which I give. I must have integrity and sincerity.


It will be the holidays soon where I can choose my reading material, and I would like to be able to explore the following:

1. Bible's robustness, whether philosophically, archaeologically, scientifically, historically examined.
2. Against Moral Relativism that breaks down any objective poles of right and wrong.
3. Our reliability on Rationality (especially if we subscribe to the evolutionary model).
4. The slippery slope of sexual egalitarianism.
5. How to share the kindness and love of God to others quickly and meet spiritual, emotional needs of brethren and non-believers.

As I have said, don't swallow the projection, but use what is edifying, particularly God's Word. I know these things, but I need to perform them continually today, tomorrow and beyond.

No comments: