Friday, May 1, 2009

I made a list of the things I was going to do on my first ever book-out, and I'm pretty pleased that I actually got to do some of them.

I wanted a massage badly throughout the whole of the confinement period while in-camp, because I hoped it will relieve the sorenesss I've accumulated over time and unknot the tense muscles from the routines they put us through, seeing that we have great workloads but less recovery time.

This is one bit I'm pretty disgruntled about; where we are given high workload and minimal allowance for rest. This coupled with the higher temperatures on the island, it's no wonder people with weaker constitution fall sick.

I still have not gotten my massage, but I have about half a day left, and if God permits I will be able to swing by the place, which I heard was in Tampines.


Sleep at my own discretion was something I missed also, seeing that it was a decree that said we had to wake up by 0530, except for one day where there was a turnout the night before. And it seems that they've already succeeded in hammering this into me, because I've been waking up around 0500 for the past two nights.

I've had no trouble getting to sleep though and now that so much sleep is a rare treat, I seize it properly.


The gymnasium was a place I missed, and I was fretting about the loss of strength, muscle and form after more than 20 days without lifting weights.

But God was gracious, and I pretty much completed all the movements I set out to.
(Image Credits, Google.)
The traditional Bench Press;



A new power movement that worked the Upper Posterior chain-the Dumbbell Snatch;




The almighty Squat;




And the Barbell Romanian Deadlift-to-Bent-over Row.




I remember saying I favour big, compound movements that engage multiple muscles and body parts and involve big weights. They boost my ego and assure me of measurable progress.

And then I rushed over to meet my movie buddy Nawal, to impress her with my bald head and also to blaze through two great movies which I'd been wanting to catch since the day before I enlisted.

Looking forward to our movie date was one of the main things that kept me sane, apart from my faith, and it was real good to see Nawal after 2 excruciating weeks. She's been a real good friend, and when I'm talking to her, she makes me want to tell her everything.
Perhaps she is a mutant with the power of persuasion?

Wolverine: Origins was a typical action movie for me, that although was really cool and all, but pretty much forgettable in terms of action, the fight sequences were good though and there were some nice jokes. But at least it answered Wolverine's memory loss satisfactory.

17 again was a chick flick, but deep down, I am a royal sucker for chick flicks like this, where the dose of romance severely infected me. Even Nawal who I think watched the movie only cause I wanted to was pleasantly surprised.

I like and enjoyed all of it (I will stop short of saying I loved it, to avoid putting my masculinity into question), and I grew fonder of Zac Efron, although I noted that his character still has some residual from High School Musical-the dancing, basketball and some lines.

I would say this flick isn't just for lovestruck adolescents who believe their little trysts are the real thing. It's also for middle-aged couples, who've been married long enough for them to forget why and how they met, grew to love each other and then get married in the first place.

I want to see it again, at least until I am desensitised to it.

*

I've been prompted to summon the inner cynic that I keep stowed away deep within me, and will proceed to offend certain people.

I have a great lack of empathy for vegetarians, mostly with those people who choose to become one 'for health reasons'. It is neither nutritionally nor medically sound and if we look at vegetarians, their physique and constitution is often poorer than the others.
It is ridiculous to assert that vegetable-only meals will clean out your system.

Not everyone is like Daniel, who could eat only greens and have a brighter complexion than everyone else.

Once again, my lack of patience and tolerance is glaring.

The other laughable reason is to uphold and secure animal rights.
Firstly, you are staging your protest on so small a scale that it has virtually no impact on the rest of the world. By one person not eating meat, this has no bearing on everyone else.
Less for you, more for me, we say. And the same number of animals are still being culled.

You are being an inactive, reserved activist, and that is really amusing.
You believe that your stand is a lost cause, and as long as you yourself do not partake of the bloodbath, your conscience is safe-kept and you are an elegant non-barbarian.

Next, I find the argument for animal rights to be absurd. What sort of rights should they get anyway? Should we have them herded into the booths on Election Day and let them decide who runs the country, since this 'right' is also awarded to some pig-headed biped?

Are ants and cockroaches equal to the elephant or the horse? Can it be that they have different value to us, while on one hand we hold that animal are just like us-equalityequalityequality, and then we call the pests experts when we have an infestation problem.

What gives you the right to decide which animals are of greater worth?
Could it be that we only give a damn about the animals that serve us well or are extremely useful, and slight those that are damaging, repulsive or can't be eaten, or are simply all these things.

Animal rights? You probably need to reexamine your superficial ideals.

*
It's disgusting that above I display how un-Christ-like and intolerant I am, and how I discredit the gospel with my poor showing, but I pray that God will give me patience because I have none; I pray He will give me love because I have little; and I ask that in my petition, He will remember me in my weakness and add strength and wisdom to me.

No comments: